If you are keen to start your family tree, there is often an overwhelming amount of information on the internet, and it's difficult to know which of the services on offer are of value to you.
Northamptonshire Family History Society
The Northamptonshire Family History Society offers local advice and guidance, and a free help desk at the Record Office on the first Saturday of each month, between 9am and 12:30pm.
Northamptonshire Archives Service
The Northamptonshire Archives hold many records helpful for researching family history. These include school, military, and cemetery records. Read more about parish records and wills and probate documents. The Northamptonshire Archives Service also offers a paid research service that can help with family history.
Northamptonshire Central Library
Northamptonshire Central Library provides a large resource for local and family historians, including:
- Census returns for Northamptonshire from 1841 - 1901 (microfilm and microfiche);
- Electoral registers and poll books for Northamptonshire;
- Free broadband internet access to a range of family history websites - including Family Search and Ancestry;
- General Register Office index to civil registration births, deaths, and marriages for England and Wales 1837 - 2004 (microfiche);
- Parish registers for Northamptonshire (microfiche);
- Trade and street directories.
More information can be found on the Northamptonshire Libraries website.